Prof. Rohit Srivastava Appointed the Himanshu Patel Chair in Applied Biosciences
About the Donor
IIT Bombay alumnus, Mr. Himanshu Patel (B. Tech, Mechanical Engineering, 1970), is the CEO and Chief Investment Officer at Lakshmi Wealth Management, LLC. Mr. Patel is also a philanthropist who is well-known for his magnanimous contributions to his alma mater, including the establishment of the Himanshu Patel Chair for Applied Biosciences at IIT Bombay. The Chair Professorship will work towards the advancement of research, education, and innovation at IIT Bombay, and foster an environment of excellence.
About the Appointee:
Prof. Rohit Srivastava, Professor, Biosciences and Bioengineering
Prof. Rohit Srivastava is currently the Himanshu Patel Chair Professor in Applied Biosciences at IIT Bombay. Prof. Srivastava also leads the NanoBios lab at the Institute.
Prof. Srivastava completed his BE in Electronics Engineering from VNIT Nagpur in 1999 with distinction and an MS and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Louisiana Tech University, USA. He specialises in POC diagnostic devices, Biomedical Microsystems devices (MEMS), nanoengineered biosensors, photothermal therapy in cancers, and nanoengineered orthopaedic applications.
Prof. Srivastava’s lab collaborated with Biosense Technologies Pvt. Ltd. to develop and commercialise “UChek” – a portable urine analysis system based on the mobile platform and created a low-cost reader for quantitatively analysing urine dipsticks. These resulted in Prof. Srivastava winning the DBT Biotech Process and Product Commercialization Award 2015 and the OPPI Young Investigator Award 2014.
Over the years he has also won several other awards and accolades. These include:
– The prestigious Vasvik Award 2013 for Biological Sciences and Technology for Suchek, which is an indigenous, accurate, low-cost glucometer supported by the Indian Council of Medical Research.
– He is the recipient of the prestigious Tata Innovation Fellowship Award from DBT for his translational work on diagnosing orthopaedic implant-related infections.
– He received the DBT National Bioscience Award for his efforts in translating technologies from the lab.
– He won the prestigious NASI Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee Awards 2018 for Application Oriented Innovations in Physical Sciences.
– He won the prestigious Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Award 2018 for excellence in Health and Medical Sciences.
– In 2021, he was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in Medical Sciences for his contributions to the development of affordable medical devices.
– He was honoured to be a part of the compendium featuring ‘75 under 50 Scientists Shaping Today’s India’ published by Vigyan Prasar, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India 2022
His myriad accolades include being an elected Fellow of NASI, INAE, RSC, RSB, and NAMS.
He has submitted over 190 design and patent applications to the US and Indian Patent Offices and has had over 35 ideas approved and patented.
Prof. Srivastava’s lab is focusing on developing technologies that can be commercialised and be of use to the common man in India.