- Enhance opportunities for female students who want to study at IIT Bombay
- Change the on-campus culture for women and underrepresented groups in STEM and nonSTEM fields
- Provide support to female faculty members and students to excel in the domain of STEM and critical non-STEM disciplines
We, at IIT Bombay, are committed to radically transforming the stories of women at our Institute. To that end (and under the overall rubric of this project), we have developed a cluster of initiatives embracing the three phases of the lives and careers of our women students – Enroll-Encourage-Empower.
1. Enroll covers initiatives to increase the number of women who come to IIT Bombay for their undergraduate and postgraduate studies and to retain them at all levels.
2. Once they are enrolled, make sure they are able to realize their abilities to the maximum, encourage, stimulate, and reward them, sustain their interest, and ensure that their stay in the Institute is safe, fulfilling, and not constrained by bias or the inadequacy of resources. All of these initiatives are detailed under Encourage.
3. Finally, work towards Empowering and changing the futures of our women students and ensure that once they leave the Institute, their prospects are brighter and more satisfying.
Our intention is to expand the scope of opportunities available to them and direct their creativity and expertise to the fields where they will be best utilized and where they can prosper and thrive.
Department: Gender Cell
Cause Area/Theme: Women Empowerment
Budget: INR 12.83 Crores
Project Duration: 5 Years
UN SDG No: 5
Heland cited a recent research report by McKinsey and said that narrowing the gender gap in STEM can lead to an increase of $12-28 trillion in the global economy. “Gender equality is important from a business perspective, and it should be made a business priority by companies.”