Mr. Munish Moudgil is an IAS Officer working with the Government of Karnataka. He is the Head of State COVID-19 War Room, and Secretary to the Government of Karnataka, Department of Administrative Reforms and Commissioner Survey. Mr. Moudgil earned his Dual Degree (B. Tech. + M.Tech.) in Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay in 1996.
Mr. Moudgil has held various positions in government including – Managing Director of Public Sector Undertakings (Electricity Distribution Company, State Road Transport Company), Administrative Head of Districts (unit of governmental administration generally with population of 1.5 to 2 Million), Public Service Delivery Reforms and Management, e-Governance and IT in Public Services. His role and contributions to the society include following:
• As the Head of State COVID War Room, Mr. Moudgil led efforts for COVID control and management – particularly by use of technology. He implemented tech-based Contact Tracing, home quarantine, testing, patient management by in-house IT Team. The Karnataka State COVID War Room, under his leadership, won the National e-Governance Award for the year 2020-21 for the same.
• As Head of COVID Oxygen Distribution at the peak of COVID during the Second Wave, which saw more than 6 lakh active Covid patients during first fortnight of May, Mr. Moudgil’s team under his guidance streamlined the distribution of medical oxygen to the last mile to each hospital and patient.
• As Commissioner Survey, Mr. Moudgil, Headed State Land Records and Survey – Brought Land Records and Maps on Mobile (DISHAANK – more than a MILLION downloads). At present, he is working on drone-based digital and georeferenced property-record creation for every citizen and every property in Karnataka, including Bengaluru City.
• Headed Citizen Service Delivery – Created online and readymade repository of caste, income and residence certificates of all 6 Crore plus citizens which can be printed anytime and anywhere. The project has won National e-Governance Award in 2019-20.
• Head of Crop Loan Waiver Scheme Implementation: Rs 15000 Crores paid to 25 Lakh Farmers in record time though end-to-end IT System [created in-house in 2 months] and saved about Rs 10000 Crores through use of IT.
• Invented and implemented Disposal Index– A Quantitative Digitally Automated Method to Measure Promptness of Citizen Service Delivery.
• Additional Mission Director in Sakala Mission – An In-Time Citizen Service Delivery System which won Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Civil Services
• Implementing Drone Based Land and Property Survey – A first in the country.
• As Managing Director of Government Electricity Distribution Company (GESCOM), turned it profitable.
• Worked in all the formative years in the IAS in worst Naxal affected & least developed districts in the country in Odisha [Malkangiri, Kalahandi & Bolangir – called KBK Region – recognized as the least developed areas in the country].
• At Malkangiri (Naxal affected tribal Sub Plan district in Odisha) got the primitive tribal (Bonda) boys pass matriculation through special effort and the same won recognition of His Excellency the President of India and that of the Government of Odisha.
Mr. Moudgil has won National eGov Award 2020-21 for State COVID-19 War Room for IT enabled integrated management of COVID; National eGov Award 2019-20 for “eKshana” (meaning “in this moment”) under which more than 25 crore caste, income and residence certificate repository was created for the whole Karnataka population; Prime Minister’s Award for excellence in Civil Services for 2012-12 as part of Sakala Scheme [In-time government service delivery]; and recognition for getting Bonda tribe first 13 10th class pass from Government of Odisha and also His Excellency President of India.